At approximately 11 a.m. on Sunday, June 16, the Atlanta Fire Department responded to a structure fire at 312 West Merian. According to Atlanta Fire Chief Danny Magers, there was a candle lit in the bathroom that caught a nearby drape on fire.
The fire was contained in the bathroom by the firemen after five to 10 minutes of arrival. There was fire damage in the bathroom, and the rest of the house had severe smoke damage. The Berry family was home during the fire, but none were injured.
The Atlanta Fire Department was assisted by the La Plata Fire Department and left the scene approximately an hour and a half after arrival.