Macon Chronicle-Herald - Macon, MO
  • Macon Moments in History, March 28, 1973

    • email print
  • The following Macon Moments in History were taken from the March 28, 1973 edition of the Macon Chronicle-Herald.
    A fire in the Macon Elementary Gym caused between $35,000 and $40,000 in damages. Heat from the fire broke out the glass in the door at the other end of the gym, burned the net off the basketball at the far end and melted much of the floor, charred most of the stage and the stage ceiling area.  It is thought that the fire started on the floor of the stage . It was guessed that the fire may have started by a cigarette in a wastebasket on the stage.
    The Maple Leaf Extension Club met at the home of Mrs. George Long. 12 members answered to roll call before the meeting was called to order by president Mrs. Harold Winkler.
    And ad announced the closing of the Hooten Jewelry Store on March 31, 1973.

      • calendar