On March 25, at 8:39 a.m., the Macon Fire Department was dispatched to a report of steam in a building at 107 N. Rollins street with a fire engine, service company truck and nine firefighters. The fire department arrived on scene at 8:41 a.m. and found moderate smoke throughout the structure and heavy smoke in the basement of the structure.
It was determined the smoke was coming from the boiler. The boiler and the natural gas to the boiler were shut off at this time. It was determined that the boiler was not functioning correctly. The smoke was removed from the buildings using a ventilation fan. The buildings adjacent to this structure were checked to make sure they were safe and no problems were found other than smoke. No other actions were taken and the fire department was clear of the scene and in quarters at 9:48 a.m.
The Macon Fire Department was assisted by the Macon Police Department and the Macon Municipal Utilities.