|
|
|
Macon Chronicle-Herald - Macon, MO
  • Macon home destroyed by fire

  • Early Thursday morning, the Macon City Fire Department responded to a house fire at 1110 Laura Lane.
    • email print
  • Early Thursday morning, the Macon City Fire Department responded to a house fire at 1110 Laura Lane. The home of former Macon Fire Chief David Snarr and his wife Kathy was engulfed with heavy smoke and fire when the department arrived.
    The Snarrs said they woke up when a fan in their bedroom quit.
    "We thought the power went off," David said. "It has done it before and we usually lay there, thinking it will eventually come back on."
    This time was different.
    "An alarm on Kathy's oxygen tank concentrator was going off.," David said. "We thought we better cut the power so it wouldn't get damaged by a surge."
    "As we were walking through the house, we noticed the smoke alarms were sounding," he said.
    "We looked out the kitchen window, which is on the south side of the house, and that is when we saw the fire," David said. "When we discovered the flames, they were on the southwest corner of the house."
    "Kathy's mom and sister live with us, and we knew we needed to get them and us out of the house," David said, while looking at the ruins of their home. "I got out of the house with my cell phone and clothes that I was going to put on this morning. Kathy, her mom, and sister got out with nothing but what they were wearing to bed."
    The Macon City Fire Department and the Missouri Division of Fire Safety completed their sifting through debris at noon on Thursday.
    Macon Fire Chief Ross Dutton said the fire was ruled accidental, and they were unable to rule out electrical.
    The city fire department was assisted at the scene by the Macon Police Department, Macon Municipal Utilities, and Macon County Ambulance District.
    The home is a total loss. The family lost a majority of their belongings.
    Kathy and David both agree they feel blessed that no one was hurt.
    The Red Cross was at the scene Thursday morning helping the victims to find a place to stay for a few days and replacing needed medications.
    Kathy and David both were recently dismissed from the hospital.
    "I was diagnosed with lung cancer and had to have a portion of my lung removed," Kathy said. "The doctor say they got all of the cancer."
    David has also been facing health issues and was recently released from the hospital.
    "Through all of this we know God is in control," Kathy said. "He will take care of us."
    "I've worked a lot of fires," David said. "It is a lot different when it's your own."
      • calendar